Advisory council and technical advisory councils
Together with other criteria, regular dialogue with and advice from external experts is part of quality assurance for the scientific work of a departmental research institution such as the Federal Highway Research Institute, which is why the Federal Highway Research Institute (BASt) has received advice on fundamental scientific matters from a scientific advisory board since 2008.
In 2017 BASt extended and restructured it advisory boards. Since then it has received advice in fundamental and strategic issues from an advisory council and two technical advisory councils with a stronger technical focus for transport infrastructure and traffic safety.
Advisory council of the Federal Highway Research Institute
All members of the advisory council are appointed by the BASt President.
Under the chairmanship of Professor Dr. Wolfram Ressel, University of Stuttgart, German and foreign experts from scientific institutions, universities and federal ministries and their departmental research institutes belong to the council.
The purpose of the advisory council is to advise the management of BASt in fundamental and strategic matters and to support it in the satisfaction of its tasks. Participation in the advisory council is in an honorary capacity; the council meets twice a year.
Members of the advisory council
- Rainer Bomba, former State Secretary of the Ministry of Transport (2009 to 2018)
- Dr. Rudolf Dieterle, President of the Federal Roads Office (ASTRA), Bern
- Prof. Dr. Manfred Hennecke, former President of the Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing and Director of the Leibniz Institute for Solid State and Materials Research Dresden
- Prof. Dr. Beate Jessel, President of the Federal Agency for Nature Conservation, Bonn
- Prof. Dr. Barbara Lenz, Head of the Institute of Transport Research, German Aerospace Center (DLR), Berlin
- Prof. Dr. Wolfram Ressel, Rector of the University of Stuttgart (Chairman of the advisory council)
- Gerhard Rühmkorf, Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI), Berlin
- Claude van Rooten, President of PIARC, Paris
Members of thetechnical advisory councils
Advisory council transport infrastructure
- Prof. Dr. Udo Becker, Technical University of Dresden
- Prof. Dr. Hansgeorg Balthaus, HOCHTIEF Engineering
- Dr. Christoph Dröge, North Rhine Westphalian Highway Authority (Landesbetrieb Straßenbau NRW)
- Dr. Walter Fleischer, KEMNA BAU Andreae
- Prof. Dr. Stefan Hiermaier, Fraunhofer Institute for High-Speed Dynamics, Ernst-Mach-Institut, EMI (Chairman of the technical advisory council)
- Dr. Michael Mayer, ITC Engineering (Innovation-technology-consulting)
- Prof. Dr. Martin Mensinger, Technical University of Munich
- Prof. Dr. Martin Radenberg, Ruhr Universität Bochum
- Dr. Norbert Simmleit, TPA GmbH
- Prof. Dr. Roland Trapp, Trier University of Applied Sciences
- Prof. Dr. Frohmut Wellner, Technical University of Dresden
Advisory council traffic safety
- Prof. Dr. Klaus Bengler, Technical University of München
- Prof. Dr. Matthias Graw, Institute of forensic medicine at the LMU
- Dr. Ralf Klöckner, CEStrA-Zert
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Detlev Leutner, University of Duisburg-Essen
- Prof. Dr. Christian Lippold, Technical University of Dresden
- Prof. Dr. Oliver Michler, Technical University of Dresden
- Prof. Dr. Georg Rudinger, University of Bonn – ZAK
- Dr. Stefan Siegrist, bfu-Swiss Competence Center for Accident Prevention
- Prof. Dr. Stephan Völker, Technical University of Berlin
- Prof. Dr. Mark Vollrath, Technical University of Braunschweig
- Prof. Dr. Hermann Winner, Technical University of Darmstadt (Chairman of the technical advisory council)