Mission Statement of the Federal Highway Research Institute
We are a technical-scientific research organisation in the domain of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure.
The results of our research provide scientifically backed decision support concerning questions of road research and traffic policy. In addition, we play a major role in the development and harmonisation of directives and standards in the national, European and international area. We test, certify and accredit and contribute to the design of the research framework for road research.
Our characteristic range of tasks makes us an independent but integral part of the German research environment, in which we hold a key position with regard to road research.
Our work is aimed at improving the safety, environmental compatibility, economic efficiency and capacity of roads and road traffic. We pursue sustainable strategies and are therefore proactive, socially aware and practically orientated.
Our strengths are our staff members and their abilities and qualifications. We work in a committed, performance-oriented and multi-disciplinary manner in all the disciplines required, use modern technology and efficient management tools. The results of our research are well-founded, repeatable and aimed at efficient implementation. We obtain our findings by integrating own research, practical tests, research contracts by third parties and for third parties as well as the evaluation of the work of others. We are able to provide continuous work on long-term projects and to provide scientific expertise concerning current political topics at short notice. We face new challenges with performance, creativity and flexibility.
Our values define our actions.
- are jointly responsible for the public reputation of the Federal Highway research Institute and for serving the community.
- adhere to ethical principles in research and in business.
- work in a practically focused, neutral manner, independently of specific interests, provide our results to the public and take note of the judgement of the scientific community.
- promote and demand continuously high quality of our scientific research, multi-disciplinary and international cooperation as well as continuous education of our staff members.
- use all opportunities for scientific exchange and promotion of new talent.
- continuously improve our methods, promote innovation and take care that our work and our recommendations are economically meaningful.
- take different living conditions and interests into account and promote equal opportunities.
- interact with each other and with third parties in an open, discussion-friendly climate full of trust, mutual respect and tolerance.
- use modern leadership principles and transparent decisions to provide our staff members with the freedom to act and be creative and thus promote performance, own responsibility and team spirit.